Whet Your Appetite for Fun & Support Children's Literacy Programs
Melinda T. Falgoust
Want to be an author? Well, now's your chance. You can be a partner in writing the next chapter in children's literature and the fight against worldwide illiteracy. Wagging Tales Press and myself are cooking up a fun read with, "Ten Little Crawfish", a deliciously seasoned Cajun counting tale. The recipe's just missing one key ingredient...YOU! Every perk receives a wonderful concept book from an award-winning author and a percentage of funds raised goes to a charity supporting children's literacy.
"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."
- Vincent Van Gogh
The bright, whimsical illustrations in Ten Little Crawfish may not match the genius of the impressionist master, but at Wagging Tales Press, we believe in Van Gogh's sentiment. Even though we are a small company, we are passionate in the belief that with your help, we can effect a huge impact on illiteracy around the world and bring a deliciously fun new story to a child you know and love as well.
Ten Little Crawfish is a deliciously entertaining concept board book for children. Our ten, tasty crustaceans traipse through New Orleans and count down the fun to be had in the famous Crescent City. Written and illustrated by international award-winning author Melinda Taliancich Falgoust, the book will be proudly manufactured in the United States by Pint Sized Productions to follow CPSIA and ASTM safety testing compliance requirements to ensure that everything is safe in your child's hands. This tasty title is ready to go to print and I'd like to invite YOU to play a part in bringing this spicy Cajun "tail" to life. Check out the publisher's IndieGoGo campaign video (see larger version here) where you can PRE-ORDER you copy today and snag some FANTASTIC perks for you and/or the school of your choice. They are offering author Skype and in-person visits, autographed copies of the book, AND it all also helps support children's literacy organizations worldwide!
You may be questioning, "WHY a concept board book?" Well...
Concept books play an integral part in early literacy development. They help children clarify categorical information that aids them in understanding their world. However, because they are brightly colored, printed on thick cardboard, and often have special elements to them, board books are traditionally very expensive to produce compared to their retail price. This means there is a very small profit margin for major publishers and they are unlikely to take big risks in acquisitions for this market.
However, Ten Little Crawfish is important to me as an author...
...and, most importantly, as a parent.
We want our children to succeed. Starting with books like Ten Little Crawfish can help them:
- Gain access to information and resources;
- Have a voice to express ideas and opinions with confidence;
- Take action to solve problems and make decisions without having to rely on others; and
- Develop lifelong learning in order to keep up with the changing world.
Ten Little Crawfish provides a solid start in building early, key literacy skills, too, like:
- With its ten, tasty crustaceans, the savory silliness appeals to a young reader's developing sense of humor and helps them create a positive association with books.
- The patterned text also makes it easy for preschoolers to jump in and participate.
- The sights and sounds of New Orleans encourage young children's fascinations about the world around them and lets them know the things they love can be found in books!
- Like a good Dr. John tune, Ten Little Crawfish has got rhythm and rhyme to bolster phonological awareness.
- As children count down through this spicy, number concepts "tail", they can practice predicting what comes next in the story.
- Ask folks to get the word out and make some noise about our campaign.
- Use the Indiegogo share tools!
And that's all there is to it. Check out the full IndieGoGo campaign and PRE-ORDER your copy today!!! Be sure to choose your perks!